The smell of cookies baking in the oven, the decor arranged just right, clearing the clutter...all strategies to draw people in. However, a very chic cake left for you to sample? Now, that’s just showing off. However, for Ruth, this particular cake was no ordinary cake. In this episode, Leigh welcomes Ruth Hauser who has been in real estate for almost 15 years. She is an agent for Coldwell Banker Howard Perry and Walston in the Raleigh area in North Carolina.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting The Leigh Brown Experience.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:21 – Introduction for today’s episode
- 00:38 – Leigh introduces Ruth
- 00:59 – Ruth is an agent at Coldwell Banker Howard Perry and Walston
- 01:15 – She’s been in real estate for almost 15 years
- 02:02 – Ruth’s story starts with a house she listed several years ago for a young couple
- 02:11 – Fortunately, her clients were very patient and easy to work with
- 02:19 – The house was always clean and rarely missed a showing
- 02:30 – Their house was under contract with a big investment company
- 02:46 – Eventually, they also went under contract with the house they wanted to purchase
- 02:50 – Home inspections were done and went well
- 02:59 – The house the couple wanted to purchase, had a big chic cake on the kitchen counter
- 03:21 – It was a huge cake and it was partially eaten
- 03:30 – 2 days after the inspection, the investment company purchasing the couple’s house terminated the contract
- 03:55 – The couple terminated the purchase with the “cake house” because they needed to sell their house first
- 04:03 – 21 days later, the couple’s house went under contract again so they went under contract with the “cake house” for the second time
- 04:18 – Both deals closed this time
- 04:26 – When they went to look back at the “cake house”, the cake was still there but was in the garage with more of it, eaten
- 04:49 – The cake looked exactly the same 21 days earlier—no mold, no bugs, and no melting
- 06:23 – The cake became an inside joke for Ruth and her clients
- 07:13 – Buyers name houses all the time
- 07:51 – “You need to be memorable for the right reasons”
- 09:24 – Reach Ruth through her phone at 919-818-9982 or email her at email@example.com
- 10:32 – Tweet Leigh Brown for your very own crazy story in real estate
3 Key Points
- It’s a blessing for a realtor to find patient and understanding clients.
- There will be times that houses under contract get terminated if “the numbers don’t add up.”
- Make an impact and be memorable to your clients for the right reasons.