Want to know why you don’t screw with the Upper Peninsula? Stephanie Jones, a REALTOR® from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, will tell you a story about a company that brushed them off the map (and how many beers it took to make amends). She’ll also share a crazy story that involves the Ted Nugent, internet trolls, and an important lesson in loving everyone, even if you don’t agree with them. Listen in to hear about Stephanie’s easiest sale ever and what can make or break a real estate deal.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone, and never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com. If you’re tired of doing real estate alone, enroll in Leigh Brown University and be sure to use your special “CSIRE” discount code at checkout for $10 off your subscription.
Time Stamped Show Notes
- 01:30 – Introducing Stephanie, a REALTOR® from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
- 03:25 - The Upper Peninsula is incorrectly placed or omitted from maps all the time; TickPick got it wrong and their rating plummeted online when they brushed it off
- 04:40 - The owner, Brett Goldberg, was told he could redeem himself by going to the U.P. and doing some classic U.P. things
- 06:20 - He bought 1,000 beers for people there and now has a lecture about how you can’t screw with the U.P.
- 07:05 – Stephanie’s CSIRE story
- 08:30 - They had a lieutenant governor running for office in Michigan who used to work in the Grand Rapid Association of REALTORS®
- 09:32 - She was going to do a rally and class for REALTORS® in Marquette and Stephanie was able to participate; Stephanie got to hang out with Ted Nugent
- 11:15 - Trolls on social media put him on par with Hitler and people were shaming Stephanie on social media for posting a picture with him
- 12:40 - This is something that’s wrong with the world today; you don’t have to agree with everyone but you can love all
- 13:30 – The Lesson
- 13:40 - If you don’t like what someone has to say, keep scrolling; keep your mind open to new and different opinions
- 15:40 - “Bless your heart” has a different meaning in the South
- 19:00 - Take good photos; her easiest sale was made simply by adding better pictures
- 21:30 - Listen to your clients and get their approval on photos; an apprenticeship period would help new agents
- 22:20 – How to reach Stephanie: her website
- 23:00 - You can AirB&B in Marquette
3 Key Points
- Don’t screw with the Upper Peninsula!
- Listen to every opinion, then make your own.
- Continue having conversations. Somebody is always listening.