What’s more fun than having to pump $12K into an investment property? Getting everything stolen and having to do it all over again! Antoine Martel, a real estate investor, entrepreneur, and owner of MartelTurnkey.com, learned a lesson the hard way when brand new major systems were stolen—twice. Listen in to hear why Antoine chose to invest in Memphis and Cleveland, and learn the key factors this 25-year-old investing powerhouse considers so he can make smart decisions for himself and his clients.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone, and never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com. If you’re tired of doing real estate alone, enroll in Leigh Brown University and be sure to use your special “CSIRE” discount code at checkout for $10 off your subscription.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:45 - Introducing Antoine, a 25-year-old real estate investor and entrepreneur who lives in Los Angeles
- 00:50 - He learned how to flip houses and wholesale apartment buildings and decided that investing out-of-state was best
- 01:25 - He bought his first house in his last semester at university in Memphis, TN for $35K, renovated it for $5K, and rented it out
- 02:05 - They now help others do the same through MartellTurnkey
- 02:50 - Antoine’s CSIRE story
- 02:50 - They bought a duplex in Cleavland, OH that came with $12K worth of major systems; the day after closing, all of it was gone
- 04:08 - He called his insurance to tell them what happened; they couldn’t prove it was after closing so they gave up
- 05:40 - They replace everything and a week later, everything was stolen again; it was $24-25K total
- 06:40 - They installed security cameras and waited until they got tenants to put everything back in
- 06:50 - Lessons
- 06:55 - They don’t install major systems until they have a tenant move-in date; they tell the tenants that it’ll be installed before move-in
- 08:25 - Why Cleveland and Memphis
- 08:50 - Population growth, job growth, diversity of workforce, population number, and the median home and rent price
- 09:20 - He also looked into economic development committees and data mined different communities
- 10:30 - He looked at past data and saw that those places hadn’t spiked yet
- 11:20 - Why he lives in L.A.
- 11:25 - His family lives in L.A. and he wants to leave the emotion out of his investment decisions
- 13:30 - He’s making a website, www.Investor-List.com that lists the top 500 MSA’s in the U.S. so people can decide where to invest out-of-state
- 14:40 - MartelTurnkey: They renovate and resell properties to investors
- 15:15 - Check out Antoine’s book: A Millennial's Guide to Investing in Cash Flowing Rental Properties and podcast A Millenial’s Guide to Real Estate Investing
- 15:28 - Connect with Antoine on Instagram
3 Key Points
- Research your investments!
- Consider investing out-of-state.
- Keep emotion out of your investments.