Christy Gessler, the Broker/Owner of the Freedom 512 Real Estate Group, an independent brokerage in Central Texas, knows how agents can sometimes internalize their client’s emotions. Listen in to hear how to navigate tough times in a healthy way, why it’s so important to have good friends in your corner, and why true connection is key to success in all areas of life.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone, and never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com. If you’re tired of doing real estate alone, enroll in Leigh Brown University and be sure to use your special “CSIRE” discount code at checkout for $10 off your subscription.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:55 - Introducing Christy, a REALTOR® in central Texas for 15 years
- 01:20 - She was a cop before working in real estate; she started as a real estate assistant and was a local franchise owner of The Big Red company
- 02:30 - She opened her own real estate brokerage and has been doing it for 2 years and has 14 agents
- 04:00 - Christy’s CSIRE story
- 04:20 - After being out of rehab for 2 weeks, she ran into a friend who suggested she get into real estate
- 05:25 - She has more fun now and has grown into a leadership role; she believes awareness of the stress and struggle in the industry is important
- 06:30 - People have a lot of emotional burdens, especially right now
- 07:17 - Her experience with rehab
- 07:35 - At a NAR conference in Chicago, she fell down the steps outside a bar; a day later, a friend took her to the hospital
- 08:40 - After the conference, she realized that she didn’t want the life she was leading; at the time of recording, she’s 1,000 days sober
- 09:45 - Her eating, body, and emotions have changed a lot since she’s been sober
- 10:30 - The reactions she gets when she’s open about her past and challenges
- 10:32 - People wonder if she wants to be social or go to Happy Hours; she can be around booze and still be happy and social
- 11:10 - People have reached out to her asking for guidance on how to get on the journey, too
- 13:00 - On The Dependent Agent podcast; the goal is to spur conversation and connection
- 14:40 - People can seek dependencies in times of stress and uncertainty; alcohol sales are skyrocketing through the pandemic
- 16:20 - How to contact Christy: https://www.512freedom.com/ or email her at email@example.com
3 Key Points
- Agents sometimes internalize their client’s stresses and struggles.
- Watch out for each other.
- Self-care is #1.