In this episode, Leigh interviews Dawn Roy, an experienced broker based in Virginia. Realtors sometimes compete with one another especially if a buyer is very much ready to purchase a house! At the end of the day, it just comes down to who gives better value to the client. Listen as Dawn shares her crazy experience in an almost-lost client scenario because of a sneaky listing agent.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting The Leigh Brown Experience.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Introducing Dawn Roy to the show
- 00:42 – Dawn has just began work as a broker from being a sales realtor
- 01:04 – The best learnings realtors get are the ones in the start of their careers
- 01:14 – Dawn’s story happened on her first 3 months in real estate
- 01:19 – She was working as a buying agent and her buyers (a husband and wife) had fallen in love with a home near Dawn’s office
- 01:38 – Being a new player, Dawn immediately made an appointment to view the house by calling the listing agent, who invited them to an open house
- 02:24 – Dawn went to the showing early and—to her surprise—her buyers were already there already too!
- 03:19 – They were in the house with the listing agent and told her they didn’t need a buyer’s agent anymore
- 03:27 – The listing agent went out to Dawn and told her that her clients are already being contracted
- 04:16 – The wife loved the house so much, she didn’t want to wait for Dawn and insisted they no longer needed a buyer’s agent
- 05:01 – Carefully, Dawn explained to the couple there would be multiple offers made on this property and that they would need to have all their ducks in a row if they wanted to have a hope of getting it—that’s when the other shoe dropped!
- 05:09 – The husband told Dawn about his lender who wasn’t available right now
- 05:20 – Dawn saw the opportunity and hit it had, guaranteeing that if the couple used her as a buyer’s agent, they would get the house no matter how many offers came in
- 06:07 – Eventually the husband and wife agreed
- 06:18 – They all went back to Dawn’s office, prepared an offer, and got the lender letter
- 06:24 – Out of 5 offers, they got the house – and below list price!
- 06:44 – Dawn knew the listing agent was just after the dollar
- 06:56 – When you’re a new agent, you just have to do what you’ve got to do
- 07:36 – A phone call does NOT guarantee the buyers are yours
- 07:48 – Explore your clients’ needs and desires and help them understand the process
- 09:24 – Leigh loves the agent in Dawn’s story who gave her the heads up about her client being contracted
- 10:02 – There’s just good timing in everything
- 11:09 – The questions you ask your clients are what gives them the value
- 11:30 – Reach Dawn through 804 986 9911 or send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 12:48 – Tweet Leigh Brown for your very own crazy story in real estate
3 Key Points
- Always set an appointment prior to any showings – you will have to know your clients well if you’re going to help them buy the house they truly want.
- Know your client’s needs and desires and give value to them by helping them understand the real estate process.
- Sometimes you just have to go the extra mile to get the deal DONE.