What’s better than one Crazy Shit in Real Estate story? Three! George Mantor, a north county San Diego realtor who has been in the biz for 40 years, has three crazy stories for us – including one where his client tried to jump out of his car on the highway! Over the past 40 years George has seen a lot of crazy things, but through it all he’s kept his innate desire to simply help people. Listen in to hear George tell the secrets of a long and happy career in real estate, and get inspired to keep the humor and fulfillment alive in yours.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting The Leigh Brown Experience.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Introducing George
- 01:22 – He’s in north San Diego county and it’s his 40th year in real estate
- 01:55 – He has seen the consumer protection laws evolve and understands how it can be difficult to understand
- 02:30 – George’s CSIRE story
- 02:30 - His first transaction was a run-down fixer-upper; one day before closing the seller’s ex-husband’s ex-wife’s lawyer called
- 03:20 – The ex-wife wanted to claim some of the proceeds
- 03:40 – The seller decided that she didn’t want to do it and tried to leap out of his car on the highway
- 04:25 – He stopped her from leaping out of the car and pulled over
- 04:50 – She regained herself and went through the sale
- 05:00 – Another CSIRE story
- 05:05 – During the wildfires of north county San Diego a few years ago, he had a listing in escrow
- 05:40 – For the final walk-through, they saw that the kitchen roof had burned
- 06:25 – Helping manage buyer’s and seller’s anxiety as a realtor
- 07:00 – Good realtors help manage that so people can complete their desired transaction
- 07:30 – George has a good sense of humor and reminded them that lightning rarely strikes the same place twice
- 08:00 – Most of his clients are people he has a relationship with and he’s wired to want to help people
- 08:45 – It’s important to have legal knowledge so you can help your clients
- 09:30 – Another CSIRE story
- 09:35 – A marine colonel listed his San Diego house with George because he moved to Orange County
- 10:05 - When George went to do a walk-through with the buyer’s agent, he arrived to the home early to find a motorcycle in the living room and food containers everywhere
- 10:30 – He rescheduled it for the next day; the colonel’s son had been living there and the colonel said it’d be taken care of
- 11:15 – The next day, the house looked like nothing had ever happened; it was perfect
- 12:00 – How realtors can better help their clients
- 12:10 – By offering counseling along the way, clients can be made to understand that things will happen along the way and the realtor will help
- 12:20 – To clients, their shelter is the biggest part of their life; it’s not just a transaction
- 13:00 – With divorced clients, you must sit down with them to clarify that they’ll need to work together
- 15:00 – George’s book – The Awful Truth About Careers in Real Estate
- 15:20 – This book is good for the public and those pursuing a career in real estate
- 16:13 – The book and George’s contact information is available on Amazon
3 Key Points
- As a realtor, you have the power to help alleviate your client’s anxiety during the process.
- It’s important to educate yourself on the different facets of real estate.
- In real estate, a sense of humor is critical!