Watch out, squatter gang coming through! Brandi Underwood, realtor and Miracle Agent, had a long battle with the squatting community in her area – and that was just the beginning! Just in case the issue with the squatters wasn’t enough, she then had to deal with the county, their (big!) mistakes, and a difficult inspector (on a power trip). Listen in to hear how Brandi cleaned up this mess despite challenges that would’ve sent most people running.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Introducing Brandi and Miracle Homes
- 01:03 – Brandi’s located in Fair Oaks, CA, right outside of Sacramento; she services Sacramento, El Dorado, and Pastor Counties
- 01:16 – She’s a Re/Max Miracle Agent which means she donates a portion of her commission to the Children’s Miracle Network
- 02:30 – Brandi’s CSIRE story
- 02:55 – Around the holidays in 2017 she helped an old co-worker and her husband find their first home
- 03:28 – They found a home in a less-than-desireable neighborhood; they walked-through and everything looked good
- 04:02 – They got into contract for the home; she had to call because the offer had gone into a spam folder
- 04:30 – They went into escrow and she was working with their lender, someone she hadn’t worked with much before
- 05:10 – Their first time back to the property there were squatters who had damaged a lot of things like doors, windows, and carpet
- 06:35 – The investment group selling the home could get the repairs done quickly; the buyers had to be ok with the damage even though it would be fixed
- 07:15 – The house kept having squatter issues; the buyers had to make nuisance calls to the police to get them out
- 08:43 – Why the buyers moved forward despite the issues
- 09:06 – The man was set on making it work; he knew they were part of the revitalization of the neighborhood and the house was beautiful
- 09:55 – The seller’s agent was great and made sure the house was repaired before move-in
- 10:40 – Liens had to be cleared on the property and the escrow was about 45 days
- 12:00 – Afterwards, she went to the property and there were signs saying the house was condemned; the buyer was panicking
- 12:50 – She learned that the county could be incorrect; a county inspector said he needed a proof of recording, which she showed
- 13:40 – He said that it was impossible because he had already recorded a lien on the parcel, so it couldn’t have closed
- 14:15 – He went back to the county office to research the permits; he said the county was wrong and recorded everything on the wrong parcel number
- 15:00 – He had already looked inside the home, though, and had a laundry list of things to fix before move-in
- 16:20 – She had to tell everyone – buyer and seller – what happened; Brandi helped them through
- 17:45 – The county wasn’t helpful and the homeowners couldn’t move in because of all the things the inspector said needed to be done
- 18:20 – They had to redo everything in the home and could finally move in 4 months later
- 20:30 – How Brandi continued to help her clients
- 21:00 – She stuck through with them even beyond what she had to
- 21:50 – They are happy and love the house now
- 22:45 – How to contact Brandi: by phone (916)792-2635 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
3 Key Points
- Be proactive when sending an offer – and make sure they receive it!
- Tenacity and savviness is necessary in a realtor!
- Safety first!