Real estate isn’t all competition! In fact, Sarah Johnson, realtor of nearly 25 years and instructor, believes that there’s plenty to go around and that we should all support each other. Sarah’s story is a heartwarming one of persistence, mentorship, and connection when she first joined the real estate industry. Listen in to hear how Sarah landed her first job right out of school, wouldn’t take no for an answer, and still keeps in touch with her co-workers almost 25 years later.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Introducing Sarah, a realtor of 25 years and instructor in Wyoming; She’s in the Bighorn Basin near Yellowstone
- 03:00 – Sarah’s CSIRE Story
- 03:35 – She got into real estate in a very unconventional way; she learned lots of lessons along the way
- 04:15 – She was 21 and newlywed; she had an aunt who was in real estate and knew that it was what she wanted to do so she took classes
- 05:00 – Their car and truck broke down and she needed to go to her real estate class; her family arranged a ride for her with another realtor
- 06:00 – She heard people talking about the broker that recruited or sponsored them; she didn’t have that and didn’t have a plan
- 06:40 – She passed the test and went to find herself a broker; the first broker was nice but didn’t hire her because she was young and still had a lot to learn
- 07:30 – He gave her a referral to another broker who had a training program in her office
- 08:15 – She entered the broker’s office but she was out for weeks; the clock was ticking because she had to activate her license within 90 days of passing the test
- 09:30 – A week later, she was finally in the office; Sarah caught her on her way out the door and insisted to speak with her and ride with her to the job site she was visiting
- 09:50 – Sarah was insistent on the car ride and ask that she take a chance on her; this was her first lesson in sales
- 10:45 – She asked the woman to sign her application so her schooling wouldn’t expire and she did; a week later she started working for her and being mentored
- 11:30 – She would listen to the other realtors talk about their day and sales; she learned the most by doing that and being mentored by senior realtors
- 12:15 – The others in the office mentored her even though she was a young stranger
- 13:30 – Providing mentorship to others
- 13:45 – Sarah loves to teach others because of the mentorship she was given at that first office
- 14:30 – Being an instructor is one of her favorite things; she doesn’t think she would’ve made it had those people not invented in her
- 15:30 – It’s good to always have an experienced mentor so you don’t have to learn everything the hard way
- 17:50 – We get stuck in our way of thinking if we aren’t constantly trying to level up and grow
- 18:40 – How to reach Sarah: email firstname.lastname@example.org or through her website com
3 Key Points
- Be kinder to others.
- Persistence is key!
- Mentorship is forever invaluable.