Real estate sabotage?—Yeah, it’s a REAL thing, just ask today’s guest, Joslyn Solomon. She’ll tells us about the time she was trying to get a property sold, but kept encountering hostile neighbors, neighbors who used bees, Rottweilers, and live animal traps to make the sale an impossibility.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting The Leigh Brown Experience.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:33 – Introducing Joslyn Soloman
- 00:41 – Joslyn does residential real estate in Minnesota
- 01:06 – Minnesota septic tanks freeze
- 02:06 – Joslyn has been doing real estate for 10 years
- 02:26 – Started with foreclosure properties
- 02:29 – Joslyn’s first foreclosed property was a run-down manufacture home
- 02:58 – She went up to the house and a neighbor comes along
- 03:11 – The neighbor was instantly interested in the property
- 03:38 – The neighbor comes up to Joslyn and says the house was a meth house
- 03:55 – Neighbor reported the property to the county
- 04:39 – Joslyn had to do an elevation survey for the house
- 04:52 – Joslyn went up to the neighbor to tell him the price and he left
- 05:08 – The house’s first showing schedule
- 05:13 – Agent called Joslyn to say they can’t show the house
- 05:20 – The neighbor put beehives all over the driveway claiming it was his line
- 05:50 – There were a lot of obstacles in selling the house
- 06:07 – Joslyn gets a call from an agent saying there are Rottweilers tied outside
- 06:21 – Neighbor blocked the driveway by putting the dogs in long chains
- 06:49 – The neighbor submits an offer and Joslyn tells the bank not to accept
- 07:04 – Joslyn found live animal traps all over in the house
- 07:24 – The guy got the house for 40% of what Joslyn listed for
- 08:59 – Don’t try to sabotage things for your own benefit
- 09:17 – What redemption means in Minnesota
- 09:48 – When redemption period ends, you’re expected to get out of the property
- 10:00 – Every state can be different with their laws
- 10:57 – Not every house is available at all times
- 11:37 – There are different and varying rules in every property
- 12:04 – Foreclosures are their own beast
- 12:36 –Are you a listener with a crazy story to share? Ping Leigh at crazyshitinrealestate.com
- 13:04 – Reach Joslyn here or call at 612 850 3153
3 Key Points
- People will try to devalue any property to get it at a lower price so be aware.
- It’s not always the owner or the buyer that has the problem. Sometimes, it’s the neighbor!
- Some can suck—as a real estate agent, you have to get over it.