Being a good REALTOR® is about so much more than just sales and commission. It’s about serving people. Dan Rochon, a REALTOR® with the Greetings Virginia Sales Network, knows this well and was reminded of it when he got a fateful call years ago. Listen in to hear Dan share why an app can never replace a good REALTOR®, and learn what he carefully considers during every negotiation.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone, and never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com. If you’re tired of doing real estate alone, enroll in Leigh Brown University and be sure to use your special “CSIRE” discount code at checkout for $10 off your subscription.
Time Stamped Show Notes
- 00:40 – Introducing Dan, the Head Coach/Visionary with the Greetings Virginia Sales Network who has been selling real estate since 2007
- 01:15 - He lives in northern Virginia with his wife, daughter, and dog
- 03:00 – Real estate in his area
- 03:13 - The economy is great and insulated from the rest of the country
- 04:00 – Dan’s CSIRE story
- 04:30 - They were in their office with old-school phones and it rang; he answered the phone and the lady was a seller he had been prospecting for two years
- 05:05 - She called to cancel their appointment because her husband had killed himself the day prior; he never answered the phone but did on that day
- 05:30 - He listened to her and went home and cried
- 06:05 – The lessons
- 05:35 - It’s not about sales or commissions; it’s about helping others
- 05:40 - REALTORS® work round-the-clock and are wound up in emotions, too
- 07:25 – On being a professional waiter
- 07:45 - He thought being a waiter was draining, but real estate is more emotionally draining and brain taxing than the Army
- 08:15 - Real estate is about people
- 08:20 - Even though there’s more technology now, real estate will always be about people and their needs on both sides of the table
- 09:45 - An app will never change the need for a human to do the job or a REALTOR®
- 10:30 - It takes someone with skill to handle negotiations and the unexpected things that come up burning a transaction
- 10:44 - A REALTOR® also acts as a mediator between people who are running high on emotions
- 12:00 - Cultural differences impact the way people handle a sale, too
- 12:45 - Real estate is a tough industry
- 12:50 - People in the service industry have experience in hard work, negotiations, and great customer service under pressure
- 15:15 - How to reach Dan
3 Key Points
- It’s not about sales or commission; it’s about the needs of the human.
- Real estate takes every ounce of everything you have.
- An app can’t do what a REALTOR® can.