Thou shalt not quit thy job before closing! Jen Teske, a realtor in Edwardsville, IL, keeps a record of all the crazy real estate stories she’s got, but the one that involves a buyer quitting his job before closing day beats them all. Jen gives us the scoop on an early possession gone wrong, how she handled the situation, and what she learned. Tune in to hear about Jen’s 2-hour move-out and how, at the very least, she got her cooler back.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting The Leigh Brown Experience.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:50 – Jen’s Background
- 1:00 – She’s been in real estate since 2007, lives in Edwardsville, IL in a suburb of St. Louis, and is a part of the “Jen and Jean Team”
- 02:30 – Jen’s CSIRE story (she writes them down!)
- 02:45 – One of her buyers broke one of “the golden rules” when you buy property, the family moved in and got early possession before closing and then the buyer quit his job
- 05:22 – She called the client to ask what happened, and he said he didn’t think they’d check the day of closing
- 06:05 – The client had to be out of the house in two hours so she helped them move out; a month later he returned her cooler and said they were going to buy in a year
- 07:00 – She blocked his number and added more commandments to the “golden rules” list
- 07:30 – Buyers, don’t ask for early possession and sellers, don’t give it
- 07:40 – She highly recommends against
- 08:20 – The buyer had no idea that his actions were going to affect other people
- 08:40 – The real estate agent can’t control the client’s behavior but still looks bad to the other agent; she had to profusely apologize and take ownership for the client
- 08:50 – Handling the situation
- 09:00 – She explained to the other agent what the client did despite having told him the ground rules
- 09:40 – She felt terribly for the boy who was wanting to start his new school after the move
- 10:30 – How to get in touch with Jen and the Jen and Jean Team
- 10:35 – Website: com
- 10:50 – Telephone: (618)541-1010
- 11:00 – If you know someone relocating to St. Louis, don’t forget about the Illinois side
3 Key Points
- Always tell your clients the ground rules...and repeat yourself if you have to!
- Buyers and sellers: Early possession is not recommended!
- Always handle less-than-ideal situations with transparency and grace.