Wanna hear a story that gives a whole new definition to the word patience? Paula Brahan, a REALTOR® in Hattiesburg, MS, spent a whole year trying to find the perfect property for a client – just to have him move in right across the street. The whole thing tested her patience –his changing needs, unrealistic expectations, electromagnetic detector (what?) – but ultimately both she and her client were happy. Listen in to find out how Paula found exactly what her client wanted – and got a nice neighbor, too!
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:50 – Introducing Paula, a REALTOR® in Hattiesburg, MS; she’s been in the business for 4 years and was a nurse before
- 02:50 – Paula’s CSIRE story
- 03:00 – She’s learned that patience is key, especially in one case
- 03:45 – The client was referred to her, he was very particular and she was helping him find a place
- 04:35 – They ruled out every house for one reason or another; the budget and scope changed often
- 05:10 – The client would bring out an electromagnetic reader everywhere they went; he had young kids and didn’t want them to be around certain frequencies
- 06:15 – He was looking in the $500,000 - $700,000 range; she finally found a house that was perfect but he said it was too good to be true
- 07:10 – The next day he emails her and said there was a sewer treatment lagoon near the house so they can’t move there; the next house had a concrete plant nearby
- 08:08 – She suggests he get an estimate to build a house
- 08:50 – She bet him a steak dinner that the bid to build wasn’t going to be less than $700,000, and she was right
- 09:10 – A contractor in her neighborhood custom build his home but then decided to sell it; they began to negotiate with the builder/seller but he was asking too much
- 10:25 – That back and forth went on for months; then another neighbor who just moved in as well told her he wanted to sell
- 11:40 – One year after meeting this client, they had a contract drawn up and now he lives across the street; it’s one of the largest transactions Paula has closed
- 12:30 – Everyone has different needs that we should respect
- 13:15 – In neighborhoods where homes are custom built, comps and appraisals can be challenging
- 13:50 – She wanted him to see the value of the homes she was showing him; the bids helped give the client perspective
- 16:17 – The builder was never able to sell his home and is now neighbors with the buyers
- 16:54 – How to contact Paula: call/text (601)606-6686, reach her at the office at (601)268-1600, or on her website http://www.paulabrahancan.com/
3 Key Points
- Patience is key!
- Respect the needs of others.
- Communicate what you want but be flexible with changes.